The 3M Bair Hugger forced-air warming system
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently issued a letter reminding healthcare providers that it continues to recommend patients be warmed during surgery when clinically warranted.
The FDA specifically mentioned that its recommendation includes the continued use of forced-air warming devices. The 3M™ Bair Hugger™ warming system is the world’s leading forced-air warming product.
The FDA said it recently became aware that some providers and patients are foregoing the use of forced-air warming because of concerns about a possible increased risk of surgical site infections. Those concerns have been driven by a 3M competitor and a group of plaintiffs’ attorneys, who are promoting a theory that forced-air warming devices such as the Bair Hugger system lead to an increased risk of surgical site infections.
The FDA, which regulates medical devices, said it has thoroughly reviewed available data and “has been unable to identify a consistently reported association between the use of forced air thermal regulating systems and surgical site infection.”
You can read the letter here.
You can read an update from the Minneapolis Star Tribune here.
Download the 3M™ Bair Hugger™ Research Compendium here.
The 3M Bair Hugger System is the gold standard for patient warming. See the research in our updated Compendium.
The 3M™ Bair Hugger™ forced-air warming system keeps patients warm throughout the perioperative process, which is integral to optimal clinical care and patient comfort. Below are eight great reasons you can trust the Bair Hugger system for your patient warming needs.
- Over 80% of US hospitals rely on the 3M Bair Hugger system to maintain normothermia.
- The 3M Bair Hugger system has safely and effectively warmed patients during surgery for nearly 30 years.
- More than 200 million patients have been warmed by Bair Hugger warming blankets or warming gowns.
- The number of patients warmed using the Bair Hugger system increases by nearly 50,000 each and every day.
- 8 of the top 10 orthopedic hospitals in the U.S. trust the 3M Bair Hugger system for their patient warming needs.¹
- The clinical effectiveness of forced-air warming has been documented in over 170 clinical studies and more than 60 randomized controlled clinical trials. Download the Bair Hugger research compendium to learn more.
- The 3M Bair Hugger system’s portfolio of 25 blanket designs (including seven underbody models) and three gown styles provides a warming option for nearly any surgical procedure.
- The 3M Bair Hugger Model 775 temperature management unit’s performance, precision and ease-of-use stands out from the competition.
Learn more about the 3M Bair Hugger system, or download the Bair Hugger Research Compendium.
1. U.S. News & World Report (online edition); 2015-16 Top Hospitals edition, Best Hospitals for Adult Orthopedics. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/orthopedics. Published July 21, 2015.