At 3M, we are committed to improving our business, our planet, and every life. That’s one reason health care professionals rely on us to provide products they can depend on; products that will help improve lives in a rapidly changing environment.
For us, improving lives also means developing environmentally friendly health care products without sacrificing product quality or performance. On May 17-19, 3M will be in booth 201 at the CleanMed 2016 conference in Dallas, Texas to share our dedication to sustainability with other green-leaders in the health care industry.
Presented by Practice Greenhealth and Health Care Without Harm, this year’s event will be CleanMed’s 17th conference organized to showcase sustainable health care products in use within the health care industry. In 2015, 3M was honored with the Practice Greenhealth “Champion for Change” award for expanding sustainable practices.
Below are some examples of 3M Health Care sustainability products that we’ll be taking with us to CleanMed 2016, which aim to benefit both patients and the environment:
3M innovations reduce waste
Specific Packaging is required to protect medical materials and, in some cases, to keep a product sterile. This packaging is important, but can also result in a lot of waste and increased health care costs. 3M™ Tegaderm™ Dressings are now packed using an innovative nested design that reduces pouch material by 30% compared to a rectangular pouch.
3M innovations increase antibiotic stewardship
3M™ Skin and Nasal Antiseptic helps reduce the risk of surgical site infections when part of a comprehensive preoperative protocol.1-5 3M™ Skin and Nasal Antiseptic has not been shown to lead to resistance, supporting your antibiotic stewardship efforts.6
3M innovations conserve water
3M offers a wide variety of Green Seal certified cleaning chemicals that help reduce the amount of water needed, while also improving indoor air quality. Portable and reusable dispensers reduce environmental impact, and easy mixing minimizes chemical waste.
The 3M™ Easy Scrub Flat Mop is a solution for cleaning floors that reduces water and chemical waste by 80%, and cuts cleaning time in half when compared to a traditional mop and a bucket.
3M™ Avagard™ (Chlorhexidine Gluconate 1% Solution and Ethyl Alcohol 61% w/w) Surgical and Healthcare Personnel Hand Antiseptic with Moisturizers is the first and only FDA NDA-approved waterless, brushless surgical hand antiseptic that uses alcohol for rapid kill and Chlorohexidine Gluconate for persistent, cumulative activity, which is preferred by AORN. The formulation eliminates the need for water, helping hospitals further avoid waste.
3M innovations are made with safer chemicals
Made without natural rubber latex or phthalate plasticizers, 3M™ Littmann® Stethoscopes have reliable and clear acoustic performance and resilient next-generation tubing that retains its shape and flexibility even after folding tightly into a pocket. The new tubing provides longer stethoscope life due to improved resistance to skin oils and alcohol.
3M’s hand hygiene line contains foam and gel products that have earned the USDA biobased product certification, and a soap that is made without triclosan.
3M innovations conserve energy and resources
Every dollar spent on utilities is a dollar not spent on patient care. 3M™ Thinsulate™ Climate Control Window Film enhances existing window insulation by keeping the warmth in during the winter and the cool, conditioned air in during the summer. The 3M™ Climate Control Window Film solution helps facilities reduce their energy consumption, while creating a safe and pleasant environment for patients.
The majority of our 3M™ Steri-Drape™ Fabric Surgical Drapes are now made with plant-based renewable resources and reduce the environmental impact of medical disposables, while maintaining the same standard our customers expect from us: strikethrough-resistant barrier, strength, adhesion, drapability and low linting, plus improved absorption and ease of application. What’s new:
- 18% fewer fossil fuel resources used throughout the product life cycle7
- 10% less CO2 emitted during the product life cycle7
- 62% of entire fabric made from renewable plant-based material8
- Nonwoven layer contains 95% renewable plant-based material8,9
We invite you to stop by booth 201 at the conference to learn about the exciting breakthroughs 3M is making in patient safety and environmental accountability. See a preview of 3M’s sustainable solutions.
1. Phillips M., et al. Preventing Surgical Site Infections: A Randomized, Open-Label Trial of Nasal Mupirocin Ointment and Nasal Povidone-Iodine Solution. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014;35(7):826-32
2. Bebko S., et al. Effect of a Preoperative Decontamination Protocol on Surgical Site Infections in Patients Undergoing Elective Orthopedic Surgery with Hardware Implantation. JAMA Surg, Published online March 04, 2015. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2014.3480
3. Brown L., et al. (2014, June) The Effects of Universal Intranasal Povidone Iodine Antisepsis on Total Joint Replacement Surgical Site Infections. Poster present at the APIC National Conference, Anaheim, CA
4. Waibel M., (2013, June) Revisiting Process Improvement for Total Joint Arthrophlasty Surgical Site Infections. Poster presented at the APIC National Conference, Ft Lauderdale, FL.
5. Hogenmiller J., et al. (2011, June) Preventing Orthopedic Total Joint Replacement Surgical Site Infections through a Comprehensive Best Practice Bundle/Checklist.Poster presented at the APIC National Conference, Baltimore MD.
6. 3M Study 05-011322 *The clinical significance of in vitro data is unknown
7. Life Cycle Assessment per ISO 14040 and ISO 14044 and validated by PE INTERNATIONAL
8. Tested per ASTM D6866 byBeta Analytic Inc.
9. Certification by Vinçotte